From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udevstart at boot?
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 03:00:42
1 On 12/17/05, Ernie Schroder <schroder@×××××.net> wrote:
2 > I'm obviously looking in the wrong places, but I can't find documentation on
3 > getting udev to start at boot. Sound and a few other things you don't notice
4 > right away fail to work until I do:
5 > # udevstart
6 > /dev/dsp is created with correct permissions and I'm good to go. The question
7 > is:
8 > How to I get udev to start at boot?
9
10 Udevstart doesn't actually start udevd...it just rescans the devices
11 and recreates device nodes. The actual udev daemon is started by
12 /sbin/rc, possibly via /lib/rc-scripts/add-ons/udev-start.sh depending
13 upon your version of baselayout.
14
15 Having RC_DEVICES=udev or auto should be sufficient to start udevd on
16 startup. Setting dev=udev in grub.conf is not necessary, and probably
17 won't change anything.
18
19 Now for your missing device nodes, maybe you just need to do:
20
21 rc-update -a coldplug default
22
23 > kernel /bzImage-2.6.14-gentoo-r4 root=/dev/hda5 dev=udev
24 > video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr vga=0x317
25 >
26 > Also If you see why the boot complains about my video mode, feel free to
27 > comment.
28
29 1. If you are using vesafb-tng, you cannot use vga= to set the video
30 mode. It must be part of the video option like so:
31 video=vesafb:1024x768-8@60,ywrap,mtrr
32
33 2. If you are not using vesafb-tng, you cannot use video=, so you
34 should take out that option.
35
36 -Richard
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list