From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing specific layman packages & eix-test-obsolete
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 19:46:24
1 >> in package.mask:
2 >>
3 >> */*::init6
4 >>
5 >> eix-test-obsolete find over 27,000 packages under this heading:
6 >>
7 >> Redundant in /etc/portage/package.mask:
8 >> ... considered as REDUNDANT_IF_MASK_NO_CHANGE
11 > The reason for this is the following:
12 > Since the category and package is */*, your mask can match every
13 > package - whether it matches depends on the package versions and
14 > where they are from. So, for every package the following happens:
15 >
16 > eix -T checks for all versions of that package whether your
17 > mask matches. Of course, for all packages which do not have a version
18 > in the init6-overlay, the mask does not match, i.e., eix -T recognizes
19 > that your mask has no effect for the tested package and thus outputs
20 > the packge. Only packags which have a version in the init6-overlay
21 > are not output.
24 >> Adding the following to package.nowarn doesn't seem to change anything:
25 >>
26 >> */*::init6 mask_no_change
29 > This does not help, since the packages which have no version in init6
30 > will not match this.
31 >
32 > You would need something like the opposite:
33 > */*::gentoo mask_no_change
34 > (and the same for all other overlays you are using).
35 > However, this will suppress also warnings coming from other lines
36 > in your package.mask file.
37 >
38 > So probably it is best if you disable the mask-no-change test
39 > completely: The quickest is to put REDUNDANT_IF_MASK_NO_CHANGE=false
40 > into /etc/eixrc.
41
42 I also get 376 matches from "Not installed but in
43 /etc/portage/package.mask" which are surely the packages in my overlays
44 masked by */* but not installed. Do you know the name of this test so I
45 can disable it in eixrc? I looked through man eix but couldn't find it.
46
47 So REDUNDANT_IF_MASK_NO_CHANGE and the above test are not compatible with
48 masking all but certain packages from an overlay via
49 package.mask/package.unmask. I think what we really need is a better way
50 to install only certain packages from an overlay.
51
52 - Grant