From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Heads-up; bash now uses "readline" USE flag
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 10:03:22
1 On Sat, 8 Sep 2012 23:42:45 -0400
2 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, Sep 08, 2012 at 09:07:02AM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote
5 >
6 > > Isn't readline enabled by default on all reasonable profiles? Do
7 > > you have USE="-* in make.conf? If so, it's just bitten you.
8 >
9 > Yup. I did that to avoid further surprises after the developers "in
10 > their infinite wisdom" had IPV6 "enabled by default on all reasonable
11 > profiles". Watching Firefox and mplayer spinning their wheels for 45
12 > seconds at a time till IPV6 lookups timed out was not fun.
15 Looks to me like you added in a huge problem to fix a minor one.
16
17 Yes, the devs will occasionally make a mistake. This is rare but it
18 does happen because bugs happen. In a case like this just add "-ipv6"
19 to USE and things go back to what they were. Or, when previewing what
20 emerge world wants to do, note that a new flag is enabled, remove it
21 yourself and let emerge world proceed when you are happy with it.
22
23 But now you have to do all that heavy lifting yourself, every single
24 time you want to emerge anything.
27 Alan McKinnon
28 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com