From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem with gdbus-codegen
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 10:02:35
1 On Sunday 29 Jan 2017 09:59:53 Daniel Frey wrote:
2
3 > As far as monitoring, some vendors have tools for that I believe. They
4 > usually do run SMART.
5
6 I've found an off-line testing suite here [1], which I'll have a play with.
7
8 > Are you running fstrim once in a while like it's recommended? Apparently
9 > using 'discard' as an option when mounting is no longer recommended. On
10 > my laptops I use a systemd timer to do this. Before that I used anacron
11 > (I think it was anacron) which would run missed cronjobs.
12
13 I thought I had a twice-daily cron job running fstrim, but then I found I've
14 been running without it for somewhat over a month. I've now reinstated the
15 missing crontab entries and I'll watch for more things going bump in the
16 night.
17
18 One partition had also grown to 75% occupancy so I've also enlarged that. It
19 was the ~/.VirtualBox partition, and boinc creates, uses and discards VMs
20 all the time, so it's possible the two problems compounded each other to
21 cause my portage damage.
24 Regards
25 Peter