From: EJ Vincent <ej@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Resurrecting a Gentoo install
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 23:14:08
1 On 1/20/2012 5:37 PM, Grant wrote:
2 > I have an old Gentoo system that hasn't been updated or used at all in
3 > at least 2 years. It's remote but I have SSH access. I've updated
4 > portage but I thought I should check with you guys before I plow ahead
5 > with emerge -DuN world. It won't be used for anything until I bring
6 > it up to speed and someone can physically log in and issue commands a
7 > couple times per week so an outage isn't the end of the world. Any
8 > advice?
9 >
10 > - Grant
13 You will likely pull in the 'new' OpenRC ebuild during your update
14 process (sys-apps/open-rc i believe). Watch out for this!
15
16 If you merge it you must make sure all your configs are up to date in
17 /etc or your server won't come back following a restart (etc-update,
18 dispatch-conf, etc.). You'll want to move over any settings in
19 /etc/conf.d/rc to /etc/rc.conf.
20
21 Upgrade guide: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
22