From: "João Matos" <jaoneto@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VirtualBox guest eth0/enp0s3 problem
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 13:58:09
1 2013/4/4 Felix Kuperjans <felix@××××××××××××××.com>
2
3 > Hi João,
4 >
5 > João Matos:
6 > > Hi list.
7 > >
8 > > I decided to install a virtual server for testing some stuff, but I
9 > > couldn't configure eth0 as usual. The system complain it doesn't
10 > > exist. After compiling the kernel hundreds of times, I supposed the
11 > > problem wasn't my kernel configuration then installed dhcpcd.
12 > Due to the new udev version, the devices will be renamed by default to
13 > names like enp0s3. This is not done by the kernel and no driver issue,
14 > just a renaming at boot time done by udev.
15 > >
16 > > For my surprise, I got an IP address, but there weren't eth0, just
17 > > enp0s3 instead. It wouldn't be a problem (even with dhcp), but I can't
18 > > start any service. They (sshd) complain that there is no eth0.
19 > You might have some old references to eth0 around, e.g.:
20 > - /etc/init.d/net.eth0 (move this file to /etc/init.d/net.enp0s3)
21 > - entries in /etc/conf.d/net (same here, rename them all to enp0s3)
24 Everything is working ok now. :)
25
26 Next time I'll keep in mind looking at "eselect new". I've installed gentoo
27 3 weeks ago, I didn't know it would change since then.
28
29 Thank you both.
32 > - net.eth0 is maybe installed in the default runlevel. Remove it and add
33 > net.enp0s3
34 > - in case SSH still refuses to start, try running "/lib/rc/bin/rc-depend
35 > -u" as root and/or setting rc_depend_strict="NO" in /etc/rc.conf
36 > >
37 > > I'm using stable packages (x86).
38 > >
39 > > Any suggestions? Thank you.
40 > >
41 > > --
42 > > João de Matos
43 > > Linux User #461527
44 > Regards,
45 > Felix
51 João de Matos
52 Linux User #461527
53 Graduando em Engenharia de Computação 2005.1
54 UEFS - Universidade Estadual de Feira de Santana