From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Digest of gentoo-user@gentoo.org issue 281 (19228-19277)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 18:35:34
1 On Tuesday 23 August 2005 18:58, karlos wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I have 2 questions:
5 >
6 > 1. How can I change the swap partition after I added some ram to my
7 > computer e.g. 512 MB. I just wonder in case I want to upgrade WITHOUT
8 > destroying anything. Do I just have to write another partition table
9 > and thats it?
12 no, you don't need to. more ram=less swap used (in an ideal world*)
13
14 If you need more swap, create a swapfile: dd if=/dev/null of=/tmp/swapfile
15 bs=whatyoulike, count=howmuchyouwant
16
17 mkswap /tmp/swapfile
18
19 swapon /tmp/swapfile
20
21 tada, a lot of swap, no partitioning needed.
22
23 And with 2.6 a swapfile is not slower than a swap-partition.
27 *
28 Well, until two weeks ago I had 512mb ram and 1gig swap.
29 Even light loaded and swappiness down to 10 - after some hours, there are some
30 kb in swap, while there is pretty much free memory - and they are always the
31 wrong few kb, making everything sluggish.
32
33 I bought additional 512mb - and nothing changed, after some hours, a lot of
34 ram is free, but linux insistes on putting hundred and something kb into
35 swap.
36 That is veeeery annoying ;)
37 --
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list