From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] iscsitarget or targetcli?
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 12:47:36
1 On Thursday, January 29, 2015 11:28:56 AM thegeezer wrote:
2 > On 29/01/15 10:25, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > Hi all,
4 > >
5 > > I want to set up an iSCSI server (target in iSCSI terminology) running on
6 > > Gentoo.
7 > > Does anyone know which of the following 2 are better:
8 > > - sys-block/iscsitarget
9 > > - sys-block/targetcli
10 > >
11 > > Both don't seem to have had an update for over 2 years, but targetcli
12 > > seems to be just the config-tool for whatever is in current kernels
13 > > where, I think, iscsitarget is a userspace daemon?
14 > >
15 > > Many thanks,
16 > >
17 > > Joost
18 >
19 > I'd actually suggest using SCST
20 > http://monklinux.blogspot.ie/2012/02/scst-configuration-how-to-using-gentoo.
21 > html
22 >
23 > works very well and has a few extra niceties (dynamic resize
24 > notification being one) that seem to be missing on other iscsi targets.
25 > nice and easy syntax too
29 I managed to get dynamic resizing working when I did my first tests with
30 targetcli and the kernel-inbuild stuff:
31
32 Device Drivers --->
33 <M> Generic Target Core Mod (TCM) and ConfigFS Infrastructure --->
34 <M> TCM/IBLOCK Subsystem Plugin for Linux/BLOCK
35 <M> TCM/FILEIO Subsystem Plugin for Linux/VFS
36 <M> TCM/pSCSI Subsystem Plugin for Linux/SCSI
37 <M> Linux-iSCSI.org iSCSI Target Mode Stack
38
39 I only had to tell the iscsi-client to recheck the new size:
40 server : # resize filesystem
41 (Server was using targetcli with the kernel-inbuild stuff)
42
43 client : # iscsiadm -m node -T iqn....vm5... -R
44 client : # resize2fs /dev/sdb
45
46 What is the difference between the kernel-stuff (targetcli is only the config-
47 tool) and scst?
50 Joost