From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: The NVIDIA/Kernel fiasco -- is it safe to sync yet?
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 00:46:02
1 On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 09:49:43 +0200
2 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 24/08/2013 06:26, Chris Stankevitz wrote:
5 > > On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 9:12 PM, »Q« <boxcars@×××.net> wrote:
6 > >> It looks like maybe the best way to tell which ebuilds support
7 > >> which kernels is to read the conditional for the ewarn message in
8 > >> each ebuild.
9 > >
10 > > If this sort of problem spreads it might be good to build into
11 > > portage some kind of blocker/keyword mechanism so that users need
12 > > not deal with this.... not that I have any appreciation for the
13 > > work involved.
14 >
15 > Those tools already exist.
16 >
17 > Blockers, which do not really apply here;
18
19 In a comment on the bug (which is full of bugspam), someone suggested
20 blocking kernels which are incompatible with the currently-installed
21 nvidia-drivers. I'm glad that idea was dismissed.
22
23 > elog messages
24
25 Those elog messages are presented after compiling a new kernel and then
26 trying and failing to compile nvidia-drivers. So now I grep the
27 nvidia-drivers ebuilds for the messages before I compile a new kernel.
28
29 A wiki page with info about which nvidia-drivers will build against
30 which kernels would be a nice thing to have.