From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Once again baffled by portage
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 16:12:43
1 On Thursday 17 January 2008, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > Why won't portage let me install kompare?
3 >
4 > # emerge --pretend kompare
5 >
6 > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
7 >
8 > Calculating dependencies... done!
9 > [ebuild N ] kde-base/kompare-3.5.7 USE="arts -debug
10 > -kdeenablefinal -kdehiddenvisibility -xinerama" [blocks B ]
11 > =kde-base/kompare-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdesdk-3.5.7) [blocks B
12 > ] =kde-base/kdesdk-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kompare-3.5.7)
13 >
14 > How does one figure out where these "blocks" are coming from?
15 > There are no other versions of kompare installed.
16 > kde-base/kdesdk-3.5.7 _is_ installed. There is no mention of
17 > kde<anything> in /etc/portage/*.
18
19 The solution is a little more complex than in Michael's reply and this
20 may take a while :-)
21
22 . Normally with blockers one looks in the ebuild to see what you may and
23 may not do, this is often enough info. The contents of /etc/portage/*
24 is seldom useful here as blockers almost always mean you have specified
25 two things that cannot co-exist.
26
27 In your case, you have run into monolithic and -meta kde ebuilds. Guess
28 what - you already have the kompare binaries, despite the fact that
29 kde-base/kompare is not installed. That's because they are actually
30 part of kdesdk. There are two ways I would have gone about finding this
31 out:
32
33 a. 'equery depends kompare' would have said that kdesdk-meta depends on
34 it, if it were installed (which it isn't on your machine).
35
36 b. Looking into the ebuild for kdesdk-meta shows:
37
38 RDEPEND="
39 ...
40 $(deprange $PV $MAXKDEVER kde-base/kompare)
41 ...
42 "
43
44 So the -meta package installs kompare, therefore the monolithic package
45 will too.
46
47 Essentially you are trying to install one of the individual packages
48 from a -meta package at the same time as a corresponding monolithic
49 package,and portage is correctly refusing to let you do this.
50
51 How did I immediately know that this is the cause? School of hard
52 knocks :-) From experience I have a good idea of the name of the 15 or
53 so KDE monolithic packages, and the general rule I follow is that
54 blockers related to kde are usually conflicts between -meta and
55 monolithic ebuilds.
56
57 Roll on KDE4 when this monolithic nonsense will go away and there will
58 only be -meta ebuilds.
59
60 alan
64 > # emerge --search kompare
65 > Searching...
66 > [ Results for search key : kompare ]
67 > [ Applications found : 1 ]
68 >
69 > * kde-base/kompare
70 > Latest version available: 3.5.7
71 > Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
72 > Size of files: 5,078 kB
73 > Homepage: http://www.kde.org/
75 > between files and optionally generate a diff License: GPL-2
76 >
77 > # emerge --search '%^kdesdk$'
78 > Searching...
79 > [ Results for search key : ^kdesdk$ ]
80 > [ Applications found : 1 ]
81 >
82 > * kde-base/kdesdk
83 > Latest version available: 3.5.7
84 > Latest version installed: 3.5.7
85 > Size of files: 5,088 kB
86 > Homepage: http://www.kde.org/
88 > Kompare, Umbrello,... License: GPL-2
91 > --
92 > Grant Edwards grante Yow! Am I in
93 > Milwaukee? at
94 > visi.com