From: Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 00:20:47
1 On 17/12/2022 20:03, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > I'm just asking what's the purpose of doing LVM, or your
3 > suggested layering, specifically on a storage pool for a
4 > home user like Dale? That's the part I don't understand,
5 > especially for a new NAS user like Dale?
6
7 From my POV, snapshots, in-place short-term backups, it's just flexible.
8
9 Actually, my main use of lvm is on my system partition - take a
10 snapshot, emerge @world, make sure everything is okay ...
11
12 What I *thought* I wanted it for was my /home partition - my wife is
13 forever losing stuff, getting muddled and what have you. But I don't
14 think snapshotting would actually protect against what she does :-(
15
16 But the ability to snapshot anything where you think you might be doing
17 something dangerous is just great - it means you can revert a disaster...
18
19 And below that, integrity/raid? Well raid protects against a drive
20 failure, integrity protects against disk corruption. They're all
21 unlikely events, but I've got loads of disk space, a powerful system,
22 and I don't stress it, so I've got power to spare for it.
23
24 Cheers,
25 Wol