From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] syslog-ng: how to read the log files
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 17:49:18
1 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 3:41 AM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> wrote:
6 > >
7 > > > Am Mon, 23 Feb 2015 00:41:50 +0100
8 > > > schrieb lee <lee@××××××××.de>:
9 > > >
10 > > > > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
11 > > > >
12 > > > > > On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 21:49:54 +0100, lee wrote:
13 > > > > >
14 > > > > >> > I wonder if the OP is using systemd and trying to read the
15 > journal
16 > > > > >> > files?
17 > > > > >>
18 > > > > >> Nooo, I hate systemd ...
19 > > > > >>
20 > > > > >> What good are log files you can't read?
21 > > > > >
22 > > > > > You can't read syslog-ng log files without some reading software,
23 > usually
24 > > > > > a combination of cat, grep and less. systemd does it all with
25 > journalctl.
26 > > > > >
27 > > > > > There are good reasons to not use systemd, this isn't one of them.
28 > > > >
29 > > > > To me it is one of the good reasons, and an important one. Plain text
30 > > > > can usually always be read without further ado, be it from rescue
31 > > > > systems you booted or with software available on different operating
32 > > > > systems. It can be also be processed with scripts and sent as email.
33 > > > > You can probably even read it on your cell phone. You can still read
34 > > > > log files that were created 20 years ago when they are plain text.
35 > > > >
36 > > > > Can you do all that with the binary files created by systemd? I can't
37 > > > > even read them on a working system.
38 > > >
39 > > > What Canek and Rich already said is good, but I'll just add this: it's
40 > not like
41 > > > you can't run a classic syslog implementation alongside the systemd
42 > journal.
43 > > > On my systems, by *default*, syslog-ng kept working as usual, getting
44 > the logs
45 > > > from the systemd journal. If you want to go further, you can even
46 > configure
47 > > > the journal to not store logs permanently, so that you *only* end up
48 > with
49 > > > plain-text logs on your system (Duncan on gentoo-amd64 went this way).
50 > > >
51 > > > So no, the format that the systemd journal uses is most decidedly *not*
52 > a reason
53 > > > against using systemd.
54 > > >
55 > > > Personally, I'm probably going to uninstall syslog-ng, because
56 > journalctl is
57 > > > *such* a nice way to read logs, so why run something whose output I'll
58 > never
59 > > > read again? I recommend reading
60 > > > http://0pointer.net/blog/projects/journalctl.html for examples of the
61 > kind of
62 > > > stuff you can do that would be cumbersome, if not *impossible* with
63 > regular
64 > > > syslog.
65 > >
66 > > Except that I get lots of messages about the system journal missing
67 > > messages when forwarding to syslog, so how can I make sure this does not
68 > > happening?
69 >
70 > Could you please show those messages? systemd sends *everything* to the
71 > journal, and then the journal (optionally) can send it too to a regular
72 > syslog. In that sense, it's impossible for the journal to miss any message.
73 >
74 > The only way in which the journal could miss messages is at very early boot
75 > stages; but with a proper initramfs (like the ones generated with dracut),
76 > even those get caught. You get to put an instance of systemd and the
77 > journal inside the initramfs, and so it's available almost from the
78 > beginning.
79 >
80 > And if you use gummiboot, then you can even log from the moment the UEFI
81 > firmware comes to life.
82
83 So, I get lots of messages in my regular syslog-ng /var/log/messages
84 like the following:
85 Feb 23 12:47:52 ccs.covici.com systemd-journal[715]: Forwarding to
86 syslog missed 15 messages.
87
88 So, I saw a post on Google to up the queue length, and I uped it to 200,
89 but no joy, still get the messages like the one above.
93 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
94 How do
95 you spend it?
96
97 John Covici