From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox + gentoo scrolling like a snail
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 11:11:57
1 On Sunday 27 June 2010 11:12:53 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Saturday 26 June 2010 16:44:42 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
3 > > Sometimes, but not always, when I click in the Firefox scrollbar, it
4 > > starts heading in the right direction in fits and starts of 5 pixels
5 > > or so until it (finallly) reaches the end. I've mostly observed
6 > > this in the downward direction, but I mostly scroll in that
7 > > direction anyway so it might not mean anything.
8 >
9 > I've seen this too, but so rarely that I just blink at it and move on.
10 > Maybe once or twice a year.
11
12 I didn't post so far on this thread because like Peter I only rarely have
13 noticed this. Typically, I noticed this only when the ADSL/wireless
14 connection is congested or playing up. Essentially, I concluded that I am
15 asking FF/Konqueror to scroll down a page that it hasn't yet finished
16 downloading or rendering. Not sure if the latest version is behaving in this
17 manner.
18
19 I have not noticed Opera suffering from this, probably because it uses a
20 different model for deciding at which point in the download process it renders
21 the page.
22
23 PS. Browser engines are programmed to give the impression of speed by
24 rendering pages *before* they complete downloading. This decision making
25 process involves the different elements on a page (text, scripts, images,
26 etc.) and the observed behaviour may be related to the way that FF/Konqueror
27 treat different elements during a slow download Vis A Vis Opera, or other
28 browsers that don't suffer as much from this problem.
29 --
30 Regards,
31 Mick