From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 07:30:21
1 On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 11:25:11PM +0200, Joost Roeleveld wrote
2 > On Thursday, September 15, 2011 01:43:17 PM Canek Pel??ez Vald??s wrote:
3 > > On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Canek Pel??ez Vald??s <caneko@×××××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 > > (This mail is to keep the guys un -user in the loop about -devel).
6 > >
7 > > OK, so Joost posted his proposal to -dev:
8 >
9 > <snipped brief discussion on gentoo-dev>
10 >
11 > The thread on gentoo-dev is not yet finished and I intend to try to get some
12 > more information. As I mentioned in my other email.
13
14 I've asked on the busybox list, and one of the people there says he
15 does have a chrooted Gentoo running with mdev (a busybox tool) replacing
16 udev. There were various other changes he had to make to get it
17 working, but it obviously can be done. He's busy for the next couple of
18 weeks, but has offered (offline) to work on generalizing it to work in
19 more general cases. Apparently, the mdev code is a small part of
20 busybox, so he figures it would be simplest to copy the code out of
21 busybox, and make a standalone mdev. The busybox mdev doesn't have all
22 the features of udev, and busybox's developers will obviously want to
23 keep their code lean-and-mean. That's why a standalone mdev seems to be
24 the way to go.
27 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>