From: Aniruddha <mailing_list@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Chris Walters <cjw2004d@×××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard Disk going a lot slower now...
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 16:52:31
1 What is the output of:
2
3 # hdparm -d /dev/hda
4
5 Please check here for more tips and info:
6 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Use_hdparm_to_improve_IDE_device_performance
7
8 grtz,
9
10 Aniruddha
11
12 On Sunday 26 November 2006 15:34, Chris Walters wrote:
13 > Hello Everyone,
14 >
15 > My secondary computer recently got fried, so I had to either rebuild my
16 > first computer from scratch (almost), or just buy an off the shelf
17 > model. Since I've been ill lately, I decided on option #2. I bought a
18 > Gateway system with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Processor 4200+ (Dual Core), 2
19 > GB of RAM, an integrated nVidia GeForce 6100 video chipset, and a
20 > Seagate 250 GB SATA II HDD. It has other features, but they are not
21 > important, right now. Oh, and it came preloaded with Windows XP Media
22 > Center Edition.
23 >
24 > What is important is that I used Arconis Disk Director Suite to resize
25 > the massive Windows partition (there are actually two, I didn't resize
26 > the "rescue" partition), and move them so I could have about 128 MB of
27 > unallocated space right at the beginning of the drive, and a lot of
28 > space at the end.
29 >
30 > The reason for this was to create a dual boot system with Windows and
31 > Linux. For a little while, there was no slowdown - the drive was still
32 > quite fast. Then I tried to use hdparm (a Linux tool for viewing and
33 > setting drive parameters). I noticed that DMA was turned off in Linux,
34 > so I tried to turn it on, and got an error. Since then, this drive has
35 > been going very slow - much more slowly than my USB hard drives (and
36 > they are limited to 480 MB / s).
37 >
38 > I suspect that what I did in Linux turned off DMA for this drive, though
39 > it could be something else. Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome.
40 >
41 > Regards,
42 > Chris
43 >
44 > PS: I thought I'd post this here because it involves both Gentoo and
45 > Windows.
48 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list