From: Duane Griffin <duaneg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] JMicron confusion
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 13:15:52
1 On 30/09/06, Ryan Sims <rwsims@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Doesn't the all-generic-ide line prevent you from using DMA and such?
3 > The two objections I've seen to that is that it restricts the speed,
4 > and also renames the drives to hd* instead of sd*, so things would get
5 > switched around if I ever got to drop that parameter.
6
7 I'm not sure about DMA, actually. The DVD drive is the only thing
8 using it on my machine (the disks are SATA), so the performance and
9 device name isn't really a concern for me. It is all sorted out in
10 2.6.18, though, so if you upgrade to that immediately after getting
11 your base-installation done then you should be fine.
12
13 > > Another issue you might run into is getting the onboard RTL8168
14 > > ethernet controller working. There is no in-kernel driver for this
15 > > thing. I managed to get the vendor-supplied driver compiling, but
16 > > isn't working correctly for me (it seems to be transmitting packets
17 > > fine but not receiving anything). I've not looked into it much since
18 > > there seems to be in-kernel support coming soon and I've got another
19 > > ethernet controller card to use in the meantime. There are also lots
20 > > of reports from people getting it working successfully, so it may just
21 > > be something stupid I'm doing.
22 >
23 > Yes, I'm seeing that, too. I think at this point I'm looking into
24 > other motherboards.
25
26 Maybe a good idea if you have the choice, but be careful. It seems a
27 lot of the i965 motherboards are using the JMicron, since the chipset
28 doesn't have a built-in IDE controller.
29
30 > Ryan W Sims
31
32 Cheers,
33 Duane.
36 "I never could learn to drink that blood and call it wine" - Bob Dylan
37 --
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list