From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ~amd64 : X11 (?) crashing
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 22:13:05
1 daid kahl schrieb:
2 >> This reminds me of a problem we had just recently.
3 >> Have you got a multi-core CPU ?
4 >> If yes, read on.
5 >
6 > If you all think it might be multi-core related, check out a recent
7 > post that was syndicated to planet.gentoo:
8 > http://gentooexperimental.org/~patrick/weblog/archives/2009-11.html#e2009-11-19T00_43_58.txt
9 >
10 > This discusses how using a feature in the 2.6.32 kernel one can kill
11 > various cores in a multi-core system.
12 >
13 > In any case, it's a way to experiment with this theory.
14
15 Thanks for the link.
16
17 I rather suspect something else:
18
19 Just now had a look at the gnome-shell as I read another thread from 2
20 days ago ... (Mike Higgins on this list ...) mentioning this new gnome-part.
21
22 I disabled compiz and used gnome-shell.
23
24 It started fine but I was not able to start thunderbird, it always
25 crashed the session. Starting opera and/or firefox: OK
26
27 Another thing I did today (before that gnome-shell-test):
28
29 I remembered that I had added the gnome-overlay back then when I wanted
30 gnome-2.28 but still wasn't using full ~amd64.
31
32 So I wondered if I might have pulled some packages from there that
33 caused my crashes. I removed the overlay and did a "emerge -avuDN world"
34 , some pkgs were rebuilt, (yep, revdep-rebuild as well) after that I did
35 a reboot but still the X-session crashed occasionally.
36
37 Only with gnome-shell it seems to be thunderbird that does something
38 special ...
39
40 OK, I perfectly know that gnome-shell is beta ... just to add some info
41 to this thread.
42
43 I will now disable compiz and see what happens.
44
45 Greets to you, Stefan