From: Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Get rid of PAM?
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:37:46
1 > On another gentoo newsgroup I made a comment about deleting pam because I
2 > believed it was causing a problem with logins to KDE. I was severely
3 > reprimanded for such a careless attitude towards security. I am a home
4 > user and may have anywhere from 1-3 computers on my home network. I do not
5 > run any servers open to the net. I have read a couple comments in this
6 > newsgroup about how pam is not needed for a user such as myself and in
7 > fact can cause problems.
8
9 Jerry, I've got a situation similar to yours. I'm using pam with kde and
10 not having any issues at all, even across boxen.
11
12 Rather than looking at your world as "how do I remove pam?", why not look at
13 it as "if it's not broke don't fix it."
14
15 Leave pam et. Al in place until you actually encounter a situation where
16 it's failing.
21 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list