From: Michael Kintzios <michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] How to tar?
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 10:07:19
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Neil Bothwick [mailto:neil@××××××××××.uk]
3 > Sent: 24 March 2006 09:24
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to tar?
6 [snip...]
7 > > Yes, but GNU tar cannot do that, it can only do one command at a
8 > > time, either --extract or --delete or ...
9 >
10 > The simplest solution is probably to make several smaller tarballs
11 > instead on one containing the whole of /usr.
12
13 Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up breaking up /usr into
14 smaller directories and I have now migrated the fs onto the laptop. :-)
15
16 However, I tried the --exclude FILE option and could not get it to work.
17 In particular, I had a go with these:
18 ===========================
19 --exclude /mnt/hda5/portage/*
20 --exclude /mnt/hda5/portage
21 --exclude portage
22 --exclude=/mnt/hda5/portage/*
23 . . . etc.
25 I even used ' ' to enclose the path/pattern but I just couldn't get it
26 to work. :-(
27
28 What did I do wrong?
29 --