From: Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Using one of my machines as a partial mirror for distfiles?
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 19:21:47
1 Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > I have two machines. To be "kinder and gentler" on the mirrors, I've
4 >set things up so that my emergency machine (1999 Dell 450mhz PIII with
5 >128 megs of RAM) uses my main machine as the mirror for "emerge --sync".
6 >
7 > The next step is to use my main machine as the first place to look for
8 >tarballs if they're not in /usr/portage/distfiles on the PIII, and then
9 >go on to the next mirror. Since I set up the PIII as my emergency "hot
10 >backup" for my main machine, the apps on both machines are generally the
11 >same, but unlike the portage tree, I can't guarantee that it'll be
12 >exactly the same, so rsync is out. On my main machine...
13 >GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.netnitco.net ftp://cs.ubishops.ca/pub/gentoo ftp://gentoo.risq.qc.ca/"
14 >
15 > Assuming that I set up ftpd or httpd properly on my main machine,
16 >would it work if I set my second machines's mirrors to something like...
17 >
18 >GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://192.168.123.252/distfiles/ http://gentoo.netnitco.net ftp://cs.ubishops.ca/pub/gentoo ftp://gentoo.risq.qc.ca/"
23 I used http-replicator to do my other three servers. It worked really
24 well. It looks at your server first then gets it from one of the
25 mirrors if you don't have it yet. After that, the other systems can
26 share it. It's in portage too.
27
28 Dale
29 :-)