From: Dave Jones <Dave.Jones@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions about emerge -e world
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 01:13:44
1 Walter Dnes wrote on 02/06/06 02:28:
2 > I didn't intend to be running the emerge that long, but I wanted to
3 > try the gcc upgrade on my emergency backup machine first. It's a 1999
4 > 03:26 EDT. The "emerge -e world" took 36 hours and 37 minutes...
5
6 > 1) How do I resume the build?
7
8 emerge --resume
9
10 Use emerge --resume if it fails, and emerge --resume --skipfirst to skip
11 past a failing emerge.
12
13 > 2) Is it possible to get a list of packages to be built, including the
14 > correct order, so that I can resume manually if necessary?
15
16 emerge -peD world
17
18 Why would you need manual intervention?
19
20 > 3) A vaguely related item... will it make any noticable difference if
21 > I rebuild my kernel with gcc.3.4.5 and reboot at the end of the process?
22 > I may as well upgrade the entire system.
23
24 Rebuild your kernel with your latest gcc, especially if there have been
25 gcc ABI changes. The peace of mind is worth it.
26
27 Cheers, Dave
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list