From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] top - 99.9% wa? What's 'wa'?
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 00:56:54
1 On 9/22/05, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:59:55 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 > > I'm looking at this mythbackend server machine using top. Sometimes
5 > > the CPU usage goes to essentially 100%, but only in the 'wa' section.
6 > > What is 'wa'? I searched through the man page but didn't see anything
7 > > about this.
8 >
9 > Waiting. I usually see it go up during heavy disk I/O.
13 Thanks Neil. That's helpful.
14
15 Seems strange to me that I saw a lot of 'waiting' while this one
16 'fireworkx' screensaver even in xscreensaver-demo. Basically I'm
17 getting a pretty consistent
18
19 12 % CPU
20 42% Nice
21 40% Waiting
22
23 It appears to me that when the screensaver burns up that much
24 horsepower, whether it's CPU+Nice or CPU+Nice+Waiting, then
25 mythbackend is having trouble. My first test of recording something
26 new but making sure a low power screensaver was in effect worked just
27 fine.
28
29 Again, thanks for the info.
30