From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Quick question: Bootdevice nameing...
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2020 06:52:50
1 tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Currentlu my newly created system is installed on a harrdisk, which
5 > sit in a docking station connect via USB to my PC.
6 >
7 > The system is intended to be complete in the sense, that can
8 > boot bu itsself without accessing any other storage device.
9 >
10 > What is the most common behaviour here:
11 > If I change to boot sequence in the BIOS to boot the
12 > harddisk from the docking station...will it become /dev/sda ?
13 >
14 > Fstab depends on this...
15 >
16 > Cheers!
17 > Meino
18
19 Have you ever considered using either LABELS or UUIDs in fstab?  I use
20 LABELS for most everything here.  To be honest tho, LABELS can be
21 duplicated in certain situations.  UUIDs are much less likely to have
22 that happen and are the better choice.  Using either of those means it
23 doesn't matter how things are connected, it should still work.  If you
24 use grub2, I think it uses UUIDs too.  I'm not certain but I think it
25 does.  If it does, booting won't be a problem either.  Someone correct
26 me if I'm wrong on that tho.
27
28 Just a thought.
29