From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Beagle eating up Resources!! (BEagled-index-helper)
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 00:37:50
1 On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 12:50 +1300, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > How often do people here actually -use- beagle?
3 >
4 > I removed it after finding I never really used it, and that the
5 > default short cut for it and the memory usage it required to do little
6 > more than a 'find -print0 blah | xargs -0 -iARG grep "string" ARG '
7 > quite frankly disgusting
8
9 Some people may actually get more use out of it. For example I use it
10 several times a day. I agree totally that it's far from perfect, but so
11 far the best solution I've tried.
12
13 A 'find ... |grep' would take a looong time to run just on my home
14 directory. A good solution would be a tool that actually indexes files
15 in the background, and perhaps automatically when a file is
16 changed/added/removed. And not just text in files but also other kinds
17 of metadata. And when I click that file/data/whatever it would be cool
18 if it automagically opened the appropriate viewer and took me to the
19 exact location of what I am searching for. Pretty much a one-stop shop
20 for searching my stuff.
21
22 Btw, I did a search for "string" in Beagle and it only took a few
23 seconds to return some intelligent results. A similar 'find ... |grep'
24 is still running after 17 minutes and is consuming a good amount of CPU
25 in the process.
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list