From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Again about a gentoo vm appliance for vbox
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 22:19:48
1 On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I've never yet managed to build a booting vm with gentoo.  Probably my
3 > own fault, but I don't want to wrangle and study and diddle around
4 > endlessly.  Which appears to be what it takes for me anyway.
5 >
6 > This is a i7 64 bit system using semi newish and common sata disks (WD
7 > 500GB [black]), and I don't need trick raid modules or the like, so
8 > should be easy enough to build a kernel for.
9 >
10 >  ( Setup: QuadCore Intel i7 820QM, 2648 MHz (20 x 132) - 8GB ram)
11 >
12 > I've found that even a genkernel built kernel including the kitchen
13 > sink will fail to boot.
14 >
15 > Debian and  Opensolaris installed in vbox vms with ease
16 >
17 > I don't want to keep wasting time building the basic OS, only to have
18 > it not boot.
19 >
20 > I'm not speaking from real recent experience so it probably wouldn't
21 > be much help to ask what error I'm having or such like.  I just know
22 > from oft repeated attempts from time to time, that it will be a pita
23 > so would sooner just try a known working appliance ready made.
24 >
25 > In case you are thinking, I'm lazy... well yeah, somewhat... but I
26 > have put in extensive effort over time... Just want the easy route
27 > this time. (I'm also older than dirt .. hehe)
30 Uh, OK, frustration is evident. But what are you asking for, other
31 than my sympathy which I give now? (sympathy going out...)
32
33 As you haven't done this recently (I do remember you having troubles a
34 while back) I'm not sure what action you are asking me to take here.
35 I've built a couple of Gentoo VMs on Virtualbox in the past and they
36 both worked fine for me. I've since deleted them as I wasn't using
37 them for anything other than seeing if I could make them work, etc.
38
39 How can we help?
40
41 - Mark