From: "Sieb
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Question about 2006.0 and order of NIC detectio n
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 18:40:28
1 Hi Jeremy,
2
3 > Sieb, Glenn E (Glenn) wrote:
4 > > Is there a way I can change this so that eth0/1 are the on-board
5 > > ports? It will save me lots of headaches later. :)
6 >
7 > You are looking for udev. Udev will create names for devices
8 > (USB drives, NICs, etc)
9 >
10 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/udev-guide.xml
11 > http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html
12
13 Thanks for the links--I took a look through this stuff, and though it's (very) nifty, it isn't quite what I want.
14
15 This seems to only help if I have *one* machine that I want to rename my NICs on.
16
17 I want my NICs to come up on *all* my servers:
18
19 Motherboard (tg3) NICs first: eth0 & eth1
20 PCI (e1000) NICs second: eth2 & eth3
21
22 I can do this if I write udev rules for every separate server, and then on every new server I build I have to go change the udev rules to match the MAC addresses for that box. Not quite what I had in mind for this.
23
24 Maybe /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 is what I want? If I put tg3 in there, it then loads tg3 before e1000, thus giving the tg3 interfaces eth0 & eth1.
25
26 However, before I broadcast that change to all of my boxes, I want to be sure this isn't the wrong way of doing this.
27
28 Thanks in advance!
29 Best,
30 --Glenn