From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} hire a programmer or company?
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 11:46:02
1 Am 26.05.2012 13:26, schrieb Grant:
2 > I'm debating whether I should hire an expert programmer for $X/hour,
3 > or a company of expert programmers for $2X/hour. It makes sense from
4 > a financial perspective to hire programmers directly, but I wonder if
5 > there are benefits to hiring a really good company.
6 >
7 > I'm sorry this is OT, but I bet you guys have some seriously good
8 > insight on this.
9 >
10 > Thanks,
11 > Grant
12 >
13
14 For starters, you could give us a bit more insight into the kind of
15 project we are talking about. What's the expected development effort,
16 what are the services you pay for (binaries, source code, testing,
17 maintenance, ...)?
18
19 Regarding programmer vs. company, I'd say it depends on what you expect
20 and pay for. If you just want it coded, then the lone programmer is
21 probably as good as the company (since programming itself doesn't really
22 scale well with the number of devs).
23
24 Extensive testing, on the other hand, is something a team should do.
25 Sure, the lone programmer can write you some unit tests and conduct a
26 system test, but testing itself is a profession of its own and should be
27 done by a second person with the relevant training.
28
29 But in the end, these issues a minor. It really boils down to whom you
30 trust more. Ask for references, look at their previous work, talk to
31 them, etc.
32
33 All things being equal, paying 1*x instead of 2*x gives you the chance
34 to pay another 1*x to a second developer if things don't work out with
35 the first one. ;-)
36
37 Regards,
38 Florian Philipp