From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] duplicate gentoo system - errors
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 21:37:31
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 13:51:26 -0600, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> If UUID is something you don't want to spend time learning right now,
5 >> try using labels at least.  Just make sure YOU use unique labels for
6 >> each one.  Hint.  home-old, home-new works pretty well at times.  At
7 >> least you know it is home and which is old and which is new.  Notes may
8 >> help too.  ;-)
9 > I agree on labels, they are far more readable. But I'm starting to think
10 > that duplicating partitions like this is asking for trouble. I think it
11 > would be better to create the partitions and filesystems you want on the
12 > new disk, then mount both and copy everything over with rsync. That was
13 > you won't get any conflicting UUIDs and you can set filesystem or
14 > partition labels as you see fit.
19 Way back when I kept outgrowing the disk I had the OS installed on, that
20 is what I did.  I booted from a CD/DVD.  I created the new partitions
21 and such.  I then created /mnt/old and /mnt/new.  I mounted the
22 partitions under the correct one, creating directories for boot, usr,
23 var etc as needed on the new disk.  Once all was mounted, I used cp -av
24 /mnt/old* /mnt/new/ to copy things over.  Today, I'd likely use rsync
25 tho.  If I had to interrupt the process, add the -u option.  That worked
26 then but not sure about now.
27
28 I'd think UUIDs are always unique.  I guess there is a 1 in a billion
29 chance of a duplicate but doubtful it would be ran into by many. If
30 nothing else, labels work as long as unique names are used.  Using sda,
31 sdb, sdc etc tho is a problem waiting for something bad to happen.
32 Heck, nowadays one can even change the order drives are seen in the
33 BIOS.  I'm not sure about EFI stuff.  I can make what is sda look like
34 sdb without ever taking the side off my puter case or unhooking
35 anything.  Using labels or UUIDs eliminate that problem.
36
37 In a way, things are more complicated.  Thing is, if one uses UUIDs, and
38 only them, it's really pretty simple.  Copy and paste helps tho.  One
39 wouldn't want a typo.  lol  Of course, if one is careful, labels work
40 just as well.
41
42 Dale
43