From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 14:31:14
1 On 2013-09-28 9:15 AM, Michael Hampicke <mh@××××.biz> wrote:
2 > Am 28.09.2013 13:32, schrieb Tanstaafl:
3 >> >On 2013-09-27 7:10 PM, Alan McKinnon<alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> >>No really,*why exactly*?
5 >>
6 >> Because that was the RECOMMENDED WAY IN THE GENTOO HANDBOOK when I first
7 >> set this system up many years ago.
8 >>
9 > Where did you read that? According to the 2004 handbook the default
10 > partition scheme was:
11 >
12 > Partition Filesystem Size Description
13 > /dev/hda1 ext2 32M Boot partition
14 > /dev/hda2 (swap) 512M Swap partition
15 > /dev/hda3 ext3 Rest of the disk Root partition
18 > http://web.archive.org/web/20040419042803/http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1
19
20 While I'm fairly certain that it was in the LVM portion of the handbook
21 (since that is what I was wanting to use), I really don't care what that
22 link says.
23
24 The fact is, when I installed this system, it was my very first gentoo
25 system, and I am very methodical about these kinds of things, and there
26 is absolutely no way on gods green earth that I would have opted for a
27 separate /usr unless the instructions said to do it, whether as
28 something that was mandatory, or maybe it only said it was preferred (to
29 take advantage of the features of LVM)...