From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: minimal web server
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 16:32:01
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > #copy running-config [http | https] <url>
5
6 > How many routers are you backing up and what are your needs?
7
8 It varies. I seem to 'inherit' networks that are not populated
9 by humans (mostly machines & controls). I like to first copy
10 the running configurations to my laptop as often the routers are old and
11 nobody seems to know much about them. (yea as an old linux_hag
12 I get work on stuff that most other will not touch).....
13 As a PE in Controls, I seem to get lucky and am able
14 to patch, enhance or replace equipment, with minimal
15 disturbances to the myriad of protocols and legacy
16 heuristics that inhabit these plants. It's a situation
17 where if you break it, you own the problem. I try very
18 hard to keep Microsoft based technologies out of the plants.
19 Microsoft(anything) is mostly a disaster in the Process
20 Controls space. I often prove this to a customer, by dropping
21 in a sniffer here and there and show them the myriad of
22 shit_traffic that Microsoft(anything) generates just to move
23 a few bits around. Besides, if you don't believe me,
24 just ask the IRANIANS how wonderful MS is (think stuxnet virus).
25
26 (enough background?)
27
28 I use a laptop, as often the sites do not have any remote
29 access or it is blocked. I grab a config and then figure
30 out a fix, only to return later, sometimes with drop in
31 replacement hardware. Too often, I'm content to just hack
32 at the old existing (shit) hardware. Industrial folks are not
33 so robust on their nets that control machines and such.Often,
34 Poor practices and little of a structured management system exist.
35 Still, I get to avoid humans, so I trudge along, meeking out a living....
38 > https://www.shrubbery.net/rancid
39
40 Rancid looks interesting enough to explore. Do you have an unofficial
41 ebuild somewhere, or do you just hack the install on gentoo?
42
43 James