From: Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] The memory gremlin
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2018 16:32:43
1 [resend, list was down...]
2
3 I've been meditating on the memory gremlin on my system...
4
5 The ram is Corsair, 3000mhz. (never had any problem with their sticks in
6 any system ever.)
7
8 Motherboard is an early release mini-ATX B350 board from Asus...
9
10 Chip is a R7 1800X
11
12 The pattern is: all cells test good on memcheck but occasionally there
13 is a bit error somewhere. I think it is a signaling issue between the
14 ram module and the memory interface in the cpu.
15
16 After meditating on it, I don't think there's anything I can do about it
17 given the STUPID settings the BIOS goes to... The problem with the BIOS
18 is that it considers only what the RAM tells it, it does not take into
19 account that the CPU is rated at 2667mhz... Well there's the answer,
20 this is AMD's first product with DDR4 support, and it's not super
21 awesome so simply acknowledging the limitation there, and setting the
22 memory interface to 2666 (which is what the BIOS offers), it won't be
23 super fast but it damn well should work. =|
26 Please report bounces from this address to atg@×××××××××.com
27
28 Powers are not rights.