From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: MBR & GPT dual compliant format
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 16:20:07
1 On 07/29/2016 09:27 AM, R0b0t1 wrote:
7 I
8 OK, so I have finally switch my posting to this email. Gmane.org is dead
9 for now (hence my delayed responses).
10
11 [1] https://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2016/07/28/the-end-of-gmane/
12
13 So in one thread, I'm going to post to variety of recent posts;
14 recreated since I have a new email address now anyways and just got it
15 setup with gentoo-user. (sorry if this makes the thread hard to follow.
16
17 > Neil
18 > It's the ESP (EF00) that can be used as /boot, EF02 is a special
19 > partition that should exist but not be used.
20
21 Agreed. The posted example partition tables (PT) were just an attempt
22 to motivate any respondant to post an actual (PT) presented by whatever
23 tool so I could actually see what I'm trying to drive to. Soon, later
24 tonight or tomorrow, I'll post an actual attempt from recovered failures.
25
26 > Tomh
27 > The OP wants a partition scheme for both "standard" and efi firmware,
28 > so he wants an EF02 (gdisk name) of 1MB and an EF00 (also gdisk name).
31 Yes, this is a key point.
32
33 > The OP wanted the EF02 to be mounted as "/boot" so it has to be
34 > larger than 100MB in order to accomodate multiple kernels (and
35 > possibly initramfs "thingies" as they're sometimes called here).
36
37 > It's the ESP (EF00) that can be used as /boot, EF02 is a
38 > special partition that should exist but not be used.
39
40 OK, my problem is I do not know exactly what this looks like. I am
41 assuming I can do it all with gdisk (which is gptfdisk right)?
42
43 So this is just a starting point of what the PT & fstab cold look like
44
45 Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
46 1 1049kB 211MB 210MB primary ext2 boot
47 2 211MB 139GB 138GB primary linux-swap(v1)
48 3 139GB 952GB 813GB primary ext4
49 4 952GB 2000GB 1049GB primary ext4
50
51 corresponding fstab::
52
53 /dev/sda1 /boot ext2 defaults,noatime 0 2
54 /dev/sda2 none swap sw 0 0
55 /dev/sda3 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
56 /dev/sda4 /usr/local ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
59 > David Haller
60 > You'd have to get rid of one of those partitions (I'd say /boot).
61
62 OK, I was already thinking about placing /boot under '/' anyway, as
63 many of the stage-4 images I will be using in the auto-image installs
64 are commonly found as using just 2 partitions anyway ('/' and swap)
65
66 The '/usr/local' will be optional depending on disk size and available
67 space to provide this third partition. /usr/local will not be needed for
68 boot(strap) and can be mounted after the systems is up. So /boot
69 is part of / now.
70
71 > Mick
72 > It seems you did not use gdisk or a late version of parted to created
73 > the partition table? Modern partition tools align the logical and
74 > physical sectors to 4096B.
75
76 Yep, I just 'dogged' the PT hoping someone would create and post what it
77 should look like, or copy/paste a correct example from somewhere. Sorry
78
79 >> 1 1049kB 211MB 210MB primary ext2 boot
80
81 > Instead of ext2 follow the guide for creating a FAT fs partition with
82 > an EF00 partition type.
83 > James should set the boot flag in the partition table for /dev/sda1
84 > and mount it under /boot (or /boot/EFI) in fstab.
85
86 I'm going to do away with a separate /boot for now and 'boot' partition
87 will be moved under /.
88
89 > R0b0t1
90 > > It seems you did not use gdisk or a late version of parted to
91 > created the partition table? Modern partition tools align the
92 > logical and physical sectors to 4096B.
93
94 > It can be changed. SSDs are best used with 512B sectors. But, err...
95
96 Well, proper alignment was automatically taken care of with newer tools?
97 That sort of perfromance issue is also critical. Eventuall, SSD and usb3
98 mmc and all sorts of other media will be used, depending on the embedded
99 board's supported interface mix that will work with the vendor's (board)
100 bootstrap code to bring up linux.
101
102 > The protective MBR can point to another one and you can select which
103 > GPT partitions are in it. But that's getting into some rube goldberg
104 > action.
105
106 Is this true if one is using grub-legacy?
107
108 While I'm at it (gentoo specific) what is the difference in
109 sys-boot/grub-static (0.96-r1 to 0.97-r12) and sys-boot/grub (0.97-r16)
110 in slot zero?
111
112 I'm assuming that sys-boot/grub-2.02_beta2-r9++ is all grub-2 with
113 current enhancements.
116 I do appreciate all the inputs, and appologize again for the
117 transitioning emails, complicated by the demise of gmane.org (my fav
118 reading/posting for gentoo-user).
119
120 I'm going to post back as soon as I get an actually 2T disk setup with
121 all of this advise, just to check what folks think and eventually with
122 the results of booting a variety of mbr systems (efi and newer embedded
123 systems as they are purchased.)
124
125 I have a few SSD to experiment with now and may try some usb devices
126 after the spinning rust PT is happy.
129 James