From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tmp on tmpfs
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 09:54:36
1 On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 5:43 AM, <gentoo-user@××××.de> wrote:
2 > On 17-05-24 at 05:34, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > [..]
4 >> Others have mentioned zram. I've used it, but unless something has
5 >> changed one of its limitations is that it can't give up memory. That
6 >> is less of an issue if you're using swap since it can be swapped out
7 >> if idle. However, if you're not using swap then you're potentially
8 >> giving up a chunk of RAM to do it, though less RAM than a tmpfs if it
9 >> is full most of the time (which I doubt is typically the case).
10 > Seems to work fine here (with kernels newer than the late 3.x when I started using zram):
13 Thanks. Useful to know. Perhaps something changed. Then again, I
14 don't think I actually tested it so it could have also been
15 misinformation somewhere.
18 Rich