From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Span data DVD
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 14:12:16
1 Hi,
2
3 On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 07:22:32 -0600 reader@×××××××.com wrote:
4
5 > What tools do we have that will span DVDS when creating ISO or writing
6 > to DVD.
7 >
8 > I mean something that will prompt for more media when target data
9 > exceeds 1 DVD.
10
11 That depends on the data, I'd say. Splitting is most likely not to be
12 done on iso9660 level. That said, of course you can use split(1) on the
13 ISO or large input files. But that would either corrupt the ISO so the
14 DVDs aren't mountable (or mountable, but broken) or data that can't be
15 read.
16
17 In order to give a more specific advice, please tell us about the kind
18 of data you want to put on that DVD. I remember that there were tools
19 that calculate an optimum distribution of files of different sizes so
20 that a given amount of media space is optimally used. Probably
21 something in Perl, but unfortunately I don't remember...
22
23 If you want to have that for backup purposes, you're probably better
24 off using split(1) on tar files or using RAR (which has built-in split
25 functionality) or similar.
26
27 -hwh
28 --