From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] trouble with evince (mime bad?)
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 23:50:46
Recently evince stopped working on one of my machines, ajglap.

For every pdf, evince opens a window and complains
  unable to open document
  unhandled mime type

Sometimes the mime type is application/text other times
it is application/octet-stream.

But the file is definitely a pdf.  For example
vita.pdf begins

   %PDF-1.2

grep pdf /etc/mime.types gives

   application/pdf                            pdf

I know there was a recent discussion about evince, but for that
user, evince knew the file type was application/pdf.

Since evince on another machine, allan, can view these files,
I don't think the files have gotten corrupted.  The files are
on ajglap; allan nfs mounts the files.  Also acroread on ajglap
has no trouble.

I have rebuild evince/poppler/poppler-bindings with no change.
I also ran revdep-rebuild, which rebuilt nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
allan