From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Typewriter sound
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 15:56:56
1 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> [10-08-18 17:12]:
2 > On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 5:47 PM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
3 > > By the way (the same way! ;))
4 > > I am in search of such an "model m" IBM-keyboard. A colleque
5 > > yesterday calls me and said, that he found one for me in the
6 > > PC-junk at the basement of the building he is working in.
7 > > Hopefully it is one which is 1.) fully working and 2.)
8 > > with german keyboard layout. Fingers crossed.
9 >
10 > Unicomp owns the patent from the original IBM/Lexmark Model M
11 > keyboards, they still make & sell modern versions (with USB and
12 > Windows keys, if you want, also versions with PS/2 or without windows
13 > keys are available). And you can buy it with German configuration. You
14 > can even buy it with quiet keys, but what is the point of that?? ;)
15 > They are made in the USA but can be shipped worldwide.
16 >
17 > This is the model I have (in black with grey keys):
18 > http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/customizer.html
19 >
20 > It is the same size and weight like the old keyboards, very heavy,
21 > each key cap can be removed, it is loud & clicks nicely and is very
22 > awesome. For USD$69 I think it is a bargain, I type on the computer
23 > every day and this keyboard is simply perfect to me. After using cheap
24 > $5 and $10 keyboards for so many years, now I will never go back to
25 > those.
26 >
27 > Their website is http://www.pckeyboard.com and they have other
28 > keyboard variations such as a Linux keyboard.
29 >
30 > I highly recommend it for anyone who likes a huge and loud keyboard
31 > that feels incredible. :)
34 Hi Paul,
35
36 yes, I saw the sites/homepages of both sellers before. Unfortunately
37 shipping costs to germany is high and payment is complex.
38
39 If they only would have a distributor here in germany...
40
41 But with little luck, next week a colleque will give me one
42 of those really old, sturdy, heavy, loud and WONDERFUL original
43 IBM keyboards. Fingers crossed that is a "Model M" with buckling
44 springs, german layout and all functional!
45
46 Happy hacking!
47 Best regards,
48 mcc