From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] recomendations for web stats in php
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 11:46:19
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 12:34:58 -0300
4 Mauro Faccenda <faccenda@×××.net> wrote:
5
6 > I have an customer that has a website hosted in a chrooted environment
7 > and want a stats page (hits, origin, etc...) I have access to the apache
8 > logs but I don't have a shell access, so I was thinking if there is any
9 > php script that reads the log file and plots a nice web page with those
10 > stats.
11 >
12 > Or can anyone suggest another solution?
13
14 Hm, I don't think using a simple php script would work very reliably.
15 Parsing the log files can become a heavy task depending on the
16 logfile's size. So I think it's always the best solution to run the
17 analyzer from command line.
18
19 You could e.g. run the analyzer on a different host where you have
20 command line access and can run that scripted every night. The
21 resulting stats pages and graphs can then be synced back to the web-
22 only server.
23
24 Another possibility would be to use desktop programs for the logfile
25 analysis. I don't know of good free programs here, but at least there
26 are a few very professional commercial ones.
27
28 Both solutions only require access to the logfile which you told you
29 have.
30
31 -hwh
32 --