From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [footnote] The purpose of pam
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 06:36:01
1 On Wednesday 27 January 2010 02:34:56 walt wrote:
2 > After thinking awhile I realized that pam can be used to
3 > combine muliple forms of authentication to reduce the well
4 > documented risk of single-factor authentication (like our
5 > traditional password system).
6 >
7 > Example: if I have an ordinary password, plus an ssh key
8 > stored on a USB stick, plus a biometric device like an
9 > eye scanner or a fingerprint scanner, I can then use any
10 > or all of those methods to identify myself to the system
11 > by configuring pam in the appropriate way.
12 >
13 > Any sysadmins out there that can confirm my reasoning?
16 This is not merely a nice thing you can use pam to do.
17
18 It is the entirely reason for pam's existence and it was
19 written to do nothing else.
20
21 If all you need auth to do is validate a username/password
22 you might as well stick with login
23
24 pam is Pluggable Authentication Modules, meaning you use
25 the modules you want to create the scheme you want.
28 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com