From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] color in terminals with white background
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 16:31:56
1 On 03/22/2011 08:43 AM, John Blinka wrote:
2 > Hi, All,
3 >
4 > For quite a few years I've had a low level irritation with the font
5 > colors in my x11-terms/terminal. I like a white background and a
6 > black font in my terminals, and that satisfies me perfectly 99.44% of
7 > the time. The colors that appear by default with the ls command are
8 > perfect. But the colors that appear when I do an emerge -ptDuNv, and
9 > the colors that appear when interactively merging config files with
10 > dispatch-conf (configured to use vimdiff) are sometimes completely
11 > unreadable. In particular, the light yellow font on a white
12 > background that portage uses sometimes is almost invisible. I have
13 > tried now and then in the past to develop my own color scheme, but
14 > without notable success. I once tried making the yellow darker in
15 > various ways, and that helped, but then the (formerly yellow) text
16 > became unreadable if I highlighted it. I tried dark backgrounds for a
17 > while, but I guess I have too many years of reading black print on
18 > white pages; dark backgrounds are just "wrong" for me. And I haven't
19 > found any satisfactory answers with web searches. Is there anybody
20 > with a font color scheme they like for use on a white background?
21 >
22 > Thanks for any suggestions,
23
24 Will someone please answer John so I can use it too?!!!!
25
26 And for that matter, does anyone who uses a dark background AND uses
27 vimdiff as their etc-update tool run up against the same issue: vimdiff
28 mode and certain syntax highlighting rules combine to make some sections
29 of documents completely illegible.
30
31 My workarounds are to use vim's "syntax off" in *each* window (PITA)
32 which solves the vimdiff problem.
33
34 For poor color, I use xterm's Ctrl-Middle menu to go dark background.
35
36 And most of root's vim sessions seem to think my background is dark, so
37 I'm constantly have to do ":set bg=light".
38
39 I use xterm.