From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FS for laptop
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 18:36:32
1 On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 22:40:48 -0600
2 Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Philip Webb wrote:
5 > > 071218 Sergey Kobzar wrote:
6 > >
7 > >> - ReiserFS looks unsupported now
8 > >>
9 > >
10 > > What do you base that assessment on ? It's true
11 > > that RFS 4 was going nowhere even before its creator's legal
12 > > problems, but RFS 3 is still well-supported as a Gentoo pkg, isn't
13 > > it ? When I installed Gentoo on my new desktop machine recently,
14 > > I used RFS 3 for everything except /boot (which is Ext2).
18 > I too use ReiserFS for everything but /boot. I used to use it for
19 > that but the 32MB thing sort of got me to change it to ext3. I have
20 > had no problems with file system errors. I have three hard drives
21 > and 9 partitions, 8 are ReiserFS, and it works great. I may even give
22 > ReiserFS 4 a shot in the future. I'm not sure if it is even being
23 > developed any more tho. Anybody hear anything on that?
24 >
25 > Dale
26 >
27 > :-) :-) :-)
28
29 I, too, use reiserfs for everything I can. EXT3, the last time I used
30 it, is much slower, Sure, you can tweak it, but you can do that to
31 Reiser too. I trust it now, and don't intend to switch to anything
32 else any time soon.
33
34 I have always found this FS review well presented and very useful:
35 http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/388
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list