From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Video database software
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 02:55:23
1 Andrew Udvare wrote:
2 >> On 2019-01-28, at 17:54, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> So far, I have installed Griffith and GCStar. I been googling for
5 >> others but some either are not in the tree or I already know they won't
6 >> do one thing I'd like to see. I'd also like to be able to point it to a
7 >> directory and let it build the database on its own. Adding them one at
8 >> a time manually just isn't feasible at all.
9 > Seems like you could import via command line? http://wiki.gcstar.org/en/execution
10 >
11 > You can build the database you need locally with something like exiftool or MediaInfo, or even ffmpeg https://stackoverflow.com/a/8191228/374110 . I highly doubt anyone with serious collections is building their database one item at a time.
12 >> Does anyone know of a software package that will sort a lot of videos by
13 >> resolution as well as track other things as well? It could be that what
14 >> I'd like to have doesn't exist at all. Then again, maybe I just haven't
15 >> found it yet. ;-)
16 > The closest thing I can think of is Kodi since it's scanner will retrieve all this information and store it in a straightforward database format. You can choose SQLite or MySQL (of course MySQL is definitely the better choice for larger collections). The downside is the scanner is very slow, especially over a network (and not optimised). The only viewer for this data (at the time being) is Kodi itself.
20 Not ignoring.  Just pondering this one.  May take some time for me to
21 test some stuff here.  ;-)
22
23 Thanks much.
24