From: George Roberts <georoberts@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recreating my user accout woes
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:33:52
1 On 7/25/05, Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com> wrote:
2 > > geo@george /home $ ls -l george
3 > > total 0
4 > > drwxr-xr-x 2 george users 48 Jul 25 12:12 Desktop
5 > > geo@george /home $
6 > >
7 > > geo@george /home $ ls -l geo
8 > > total 0
9 > > drwxr-xr-x 2 geo users 48 Jul 25 11:38 Desktop
10 > > geo@george /home $
11 >
12 > Just to be on the safe side I'd try:
13 >
14 > # chown -R geo:users /home/geo
15 > # chown -R george:users /home/george
16 >
17 > Just to ensure that the permissions are cascading down correctly. The only
18 > reason I'm suggesting this is that, by the sounds of things, you're trying
19 > to recreate a new user using files from an old user.
22 > --
23 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
26 Actually I could not use the old files to recreate this account.
27 useradd -d /home/george -G
28 users,wheel,gdm,floppy,audio,cdrom,games,cdrw -m george.
29 Per the man page for useradd
30 -d home_dir
31 The new user will be created using home_dir as the value for the
32 user's login directory. The default is to append the login name
33 to default_home and use that as the login directory name.
34 I could not recreate the account until I had renamed the old folder
35 (george 2, one of the backups I have). Once I renamed the old folder,
36 I could recreate the account with that command line.
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list