From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Creating binary packages before updating them
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 15:38:59
1 On 29/07/2013 16:56, Mick wrote:
2 > On Monday 29 Jul 2013 13:07:44 Dale wrote:
3 >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >>> On 29/07/13 14:35, Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 >>>> On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 14:18:03 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
6 >>>>> Normally, when I'm about to update an important package, I back it up
7 >>>>> first using quickpkg. I'm often in a situation though where many
8 >>>>> important packages are being updated in a world update. Normally, I
9 >>>>> have to manually quickpkg every one of them.
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>> Is there a way to tell emerge to do this on its own? That is, create
12 >>>>> binary packages of every package that it is replacing?
13 >>>>
14 >>>> You could parse the emerge output to build a list of packages and pass
15 >>>> that to quickpkg. You could even do his as a script
16 >>>> in /etc/portage/postsync.d to have it done automatically, but the
17 >>>> simplest long term solution is to add buildpkg to FEATURES, then you
18 >>>> don't have to try to anticipate which packages you need to backup.
19 >>>>
20 >>>> You can process all existing packages with
21 >>>>
22 >>>> quickpkg \*/\*
23 >>>>
24 >>>> I suspect you could also do this be defining a custom src_setup function
25 >>>> in /etc/portage/bashrc - FEATURES="buildpkg" is a lot less hassle unless
26 >>>> you are really tight on disk space.
27 >>>
28 >>> Too big a hammer. I suppose the answer is just "no." I was hoping
29 >>> for some obscure emerge option that I wasn't seeing (happened before),
30 >>> like "--buildpkg-replaced" or something. I'll keep using quickpkg
31 >>> then. I only need this very rarely.
32 >>
33 >> If you set buildpkg in make.conf, you should already have a binary
34 >> stored. Example. You do a install with buildpkg in make.conf. From
35 >> that point on, when you do a update or new package install it stores a
36 >> binary package for everything. Then later on if you do a update and it
37 >> goes goofy, you can just use the -K option and it will restore the
38 >> binary it stored without compiling the package again.
39 >>
40 >> I have that set here and it should do what you want in the long run. It
41 >> just does it differently.
42 >>
43 >> Dale
44 >
45 > It's been so long since I've used this feature I forgot how binary packages
46 > are purged. Do they stay in $PKGDIR for ever, until something like eclean
47 > deals with them, or can you specify (where?) to only keep the last n versions?
50 2 easy methods:
51
52 rm
53 eclean packages
54
55 eclean works the same as for distfiles, it can delete binpkgs that are
56 no longer in the tree, that you don't have installed, or all previous
57 versions of what you do have installed.
58
59 But they never automagically get purged, the admin has to do it
60 (manually or by cron or whatever0
63 Alan McKinnon
64 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com