From: Fernando Meira <fmeira@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] struggling with dri
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 22:37:13
1 On 10/11/05, Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl> wrote:
2 >
3 > Fernando Meira schreef:
4 > > On 10/10/05, Jason Cooper <gentoo@××××××××××.net> wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> Fernando Meira (fmeira@×××××.com) scribbled:
7 > >>
8 > >>> I think I have radeon driver built-in the kernel.. does that mean
9 > >>> that
10 > >>
11 > >> it is
12 > >>
13 > >>> loaded before agpgart? agpgart and intel_agp are both modules...
14 > >>>
15 > >>> should I them recompile my kernel and leave radeon as module?
16 > >>
17 > >> yes.
21 > > Ok, with this modules being loaded at boot: agpgart intel_agp radeon
22 > >
23 > > I still don't have rendering! So, should I try to compile all
24 > > built-in the kernel? Or should I go for x11-drm?
25 > >
26 > > Cheers, Fernando
29 > I'm not sure I understand what you're doing here.
30 >
31 > As far as I know (and I must stress that I'm not that familiar with
32 > either the radeon driver or how it works with the Mobility chips,
33 > because I have a 9800SE that must use the fglrx drivers to get OpenGL/3D
34 > hardware acceleration/direct rendering), the radeon driver is a 2D
35 > driver that is used in combination with the kernel's DRM and the Mesa
36 > libraries to get direct rendering/3D hardware acceleration enabled.
37 >
38 > So my first question would be:
39 >
40 > What is the status of DRM in your kernel?
41 >
42 > Device Drivers=>Character Devices=>Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86
43 > 4.1.0 and higher DRI support)
46 It was DRM [=m].
47 All (agpgart, inter_agp, DRM, radeon) were [M].
48
49 Now, I know that for the fglrx drivers to run, this kernel option must
50 > be *unset*, but it's clear that you can't even have the 'radeon' module
51 > if DRM is not set. However, in looking at these settings in my own
52 > kernel (and assuming that the Mobility chipset in your lappy can use
53 > these drivers to provide 3D hardware acceleration), I noticed that:
54 >
55 > - when I had /dev/agpgart set as a module, I could only build DRM as a
56 > module (the kernel gave me a message to this effect);
57 >
58 > - setting /dev/agpgart to statically compiled (Y) allowed me to build
59 > DRM statically compiled (but I could still build Radeon as a module, and
60 > intel_agp as a module under agpgart).
61 >
62 > Again, I'm no big expert on the radeon kernel drivers, but I find it
63 > hard to believe that in this situation it can be a good thing for
64 > /dev/agpgart and /DRM themselves to be compiled as loadable modules
65 > rather than statically (although the sub-functions, intel_agp and
66 > radeon, most likely *should* be compiled as modules).
69 So I would suggest that your kernel config "should" look like this:
70 >
71 > <*> /dev/agpgart (AGP Support)
72 > < > ALI chipset support
73 > < > ATI chipset support
74 > < > AMD Irongate, 761, and 762 chipset support
75 > < > AMD Opteron/Athlon64 on-CPU GART support
76 > <M> Intel 440LX/BX/GX, I8xx and E7x05 chipset support
77 > < > NVIDIA nForce/nForce2 chipset support
78 > < > SiS chipset support
79 > < > Serverworks LE/HE chipset support
80 > < > VIA chipset support
81 > < > Transmeta Efficeon support
82 > <*> Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support)
83 > < > 3dfx Banshee/Voodoo3+ (NEW)
84 > < > ATI Rage 128 (NEW)
85 > <M> ATI Radeon
86 > < > Intel I810 (NEW)
87 > < > Intel 830M, 845G, 852GM, 855GM, 865G
88 > < > Matrox g200/g400 (NEW)
89 > < > SiS video cards (NEW)
92 Ok, so I do as you say, change agpgart and DRM to be statically and leave
93 inter_agp and radeon as modules.
94 Exactly as you mention.
95
96 For what it's worth. You could then take agpgart out of
97 > /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 (since it's no longer a loadable
98 > module, you can't load it that way anyway. but then intel_agp should
99 > hopefully load correctly).
102 Yes... done!
103
104 You would perhaps also want to check your build of xorg:
105 >
106 > emerge -pv xorg-x11
109 Yes, I have opengl USE flag active and xorg-x1 compiled with it.
110
111 Hope this helps,
112 > Holly
115 Well, I really appreciate it, but it's still not working. All the same, no
116 errors and no rendering.
117 Xorg.0.log does not report any error, dmesg reports:
118
119 agpgart: Found an AGP 2.0 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
120 agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 1x mode
121 agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 1x mode
122
123 and lsmod:
124 radeon 60800 1
125 intel_agp 15260 1
126
127 So.. don't know what can be wrong...
128
129 To add: now I lost the booting report!! After disabling DRM, FM support
130 (vesa-fb + ati + ddc/I2C) for trying fglrx driver.. I can't get back the
131 booting screen.. just a black screen from Grub to login manager.. The funny
132 part is that I re-set all these kernel option.. well, all less one, support
133 for FB splash (inside /Device Drivers/Graphics Support/Support for
134 framebuffer devices/), which I can't find anymore.. weird.. very weird...
135
136 any clue? to any of the problems?
137
138 Thanks,