From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DVD Movie backups
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 20:11:05
1 On 18 December 2011, at 03:07, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > ...
3 >>> ? I absolutely dread going to
4 >>> back to MythTv with a big, hot, noisy PC sitting next to my TV?
5 >>
6 >> I bought an eMachines 1401 recently - it's not as perfectly silent as
7 >> the PlayOn (which is fanless), but it's *very* close. It's an AMD
8 >> atom-equivalent, dual-core, mini desktop PC, about 7" on a side and
9 >> maybe 1" thick. Right now, powered on with no load just to judge it
10 >> for this conversation, I can hear it if my ear is a foot away from
11 >> it, but not 2 or 3 feet away, not against the normal background noise
12 >> in my apartment (clock ticking in the kitchen and so on). Right now
13 >> its hard-drive is louder than its fan (which is shifting so little
14 >> air that I can barely feel it, even putting my hand an inch from the
15 >> grille). I think that if you load it up with an emerge then the fan
16 >> will ramp up a bit, but I doubt if you'd notice it when watching a
17 >> movie.
18 >
19 > There are some platforms that are getting pretty decent, but they
20 > still cost 5X as much as a set-top-box box, draw 10X as much power,
21 > and are about 4X larger. They're probably approaching "tolerable",
22 > but compared to something like a Roku or SageTv box, they're still an
23 > embarassment.
24 >
25 > I used a Mac Mini for a while as a MythTv frontend, and it was quiet
26 > enough that it wasn't noticable unless the room was dead silent. It
27 > would have been OK if I had been able to get DVI output working.
28
29 You're absolutely not doing the current generation of atom-type mini-PCs justice.
30
31 My 250GB eMachine cost about the same as the PlayOnHD STB does, maybe 10% more, except the PlayON comes without a hard-drive or wifi.
32
33 I took great pains to describe how there is *technically* a little fan noise from the eMachine, but I'll believe you can hear the difference in real-life after you've proved it.
34
35 Neil has told you the same thing about his Revo - those are considered the go-to off-the-shelf HTCP front-end these days.
36
37 Indeed, they don't have optical drives, and indeed you can spend a lot of money if you want to put an ATX mainboard in a fancy brushed-aluminium Silbverstone case. But if that's what you want, an STB wouldn't be meeting your needs, anyway.
38
39 On the matter of noise and power-consumption, the difference between set-top-boxes and atom-type mini-PCs is so insignificant that I can't believe anyone splitting hairs over the matter has tried them both.
40
41 Stroller.