From: Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unwelcomed non-native language support
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 04:42:20
1 On Thu, 28 May 2015 20:07:55 -0400 Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 6:41 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
4 > <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > Am 28.05.2015 um 17:35 schrieb gevisz:
6 > >> In my everyday work at the computer, I read
7 > >> and type at three or even four different languages.
8 > >>
9 > >> However, I do want to have all program menues
10 > >> and system messages only in English.
11 > >>
12 > >> So, when I found out that it can be achieved by
13 > >> setting -nls USE flag at my make.conf file, I did
14 > >> it, recompiled the system and for a few weeks
15 > >> enjoyed the full control of my Gentoo system.
16 > >>
17 > >> (As far as I can remember the gettext package
18 > >> was successfully depcleaned from my Gentoo
19 > >> system just after that.)
20 > >>
21 > >> However, after those few weeks (and some system
22 > >> updates), I have noticed that my system started
23 > >> to translate some "system" messages into one of
24 > >> the languages I use but which is not my native language.
25 > >>
26 > >> Moreover, running
27 > >> $ equery depends gettext
28 > >> I get about two fullscreens of packages that supposedly
29 > >> depend on gettext. Nevertheless, in all of them the -nls
30 > >> USE flag is either unset or absent.
31 > >>
32 > >> I have tried to depclean the gettext package from my
33 > >> system once again but portage just ignored my
34 > >> $ emerge --depclean gettext
35 > >> command.
36 > >>
37 > >> I think that it is some kind of a bug in the portage tree:
38 > >> when I set -nls USE flag globally, I do expect that the "system"
39 > >> messages will appear in English only and will not be translated
40 > >> in any other language, but the system understands that as
41 > >> I would have asked for a "non-native" language support.
42 > >>
43 > >> Of course, this is not my main problem in this life, but every
44 > >> time I get the "system" messages translated into my non-native
45 > >> language, I feel as I get a reminder that I do not have a full
46 > >> control of my Gentoo system.
47 > >>
48 > >> So, my questions are:
49 > >> 1. Is it a bug?
50 > >> 2. How can I get rid of those unwelcomed translations in the right way.
51 > >>
52 > >>
53 > >
54 > > 1. if a package hard depends on gettext, you can fiddle around with
55 > > useflags as much as you want, it won't change. Not a bug. Just the way
56 > > it is.
57 >
58 > Sometimes it is a bug and the ebuild doesn't need gettext
59 > unconditionally. It takes some expertise to figure that out, however.
60
61 I also think so.
62
63 > > 2. environment variables. Set them. LANG, LANGUAGE and of course LC_ALL
66 > I would suggest setting LANG=foo_BAR.UTF-8 and
67 > LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8. Where foo and BAR are your native language
68 > and locale.
69
70 I have
71 # set LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
72 but it have not changed anything.
73
74 Or shall I change it in some config files and reboot the system?