From: Robert David <robert.david@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to degrade Gentoo system with webrsync method?
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 12:51:25
1 Hi,
2
3 to the downgrade thing it can be partly done using the squashfs portage
4 snapshots laying on every portage mirror. There is a long history list
5 there.
6
7 https://gentoo.osuosl.org/snapshots/squashfs/
8
9 So you can migrate your portage tree from plain files to the squashfs.
10
11 But actually the real issue here is that you are modifying your live
12 system with potentially broken things and than stay in a non working
13 state. For stable binary distribution there is a very high probability
14 that upgrade will pass correctly. But on gentoo the probability is much
15 less. So it needs to be counted with.
16 The easiest thing is to let the portage create binary packages from the
17 ones that are unmerged and keep old portage squashfs at hand. This is
18 still live system and I would not do that.
19 Instead just use any filesystem for the root that allows you creating
20 boot environments (zfs, btrfs, lvm).
21 I have only experience with zfs, so creating boot environments is very
22 easy and an atomic operation, where the upgrade only happen in a new BE
23 until it is ready to go.
24 Having BE setup correctly and squashfs images in it, provides you a
25 consistent working environment all the time. And if something does not
26 work as expected, you may return to the previous BE (if you didnt remove
27 it).
28
29 Robert.
30