From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] file with IP?
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 10:17:31
1 On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 21:22:40 +1300, Nick Rout wrote:
2
3 > > No, but on a box with a single IP address, it makes life a lot easier.
4
5 > on my box (1 ethernet and loopback up and one wireless down) it gives
6 > 127.0.0.1
7 >
8 > Seems a bit hit and miss.
9
10 I've just tried it on four machines, one of them returned 127.0.0.1. it
11 turns out that one had
12
13 127.0.0.1 localhost trillian
14
15 in /etc/hosts. removing trillian, the box's name, made hostname -i give
16 the right answer.
17
18 > A machine with one IP address usually has no outside network
19 > connection, only 127.0.0.1
20
21 I meant one non-local IP address, surely the most common
22 configuration, this discussion would be pointless for a non-networked
23 machine.
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 Only an idiot actually READS taglines.