From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge @system
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 19:09:24
1 On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 17:04:08 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > I remember someone (Dale?) some time ago being dismayed at the large
4 > number of packages that would be installed by emerge @system.
5 >
6 > Now I see what he meant: on this box 401 of the 1103 installed
7 > packages. I'd like to construct a set that would create a reliable
8 > basis for building the rest of @system and @world.
9 >
10 > I have a small rescue system on the same disk, also ~amd64, which
11 > doesn't have X or any desktop programs but otherwise is configured for
12 > the same setup. Would it be sensible to use the 44 packages in that
13 > @system as a new set @sysbase on the main system, or would I miss
14 > something important?
15
16 Surely the addition of X, and maybe kde or gnome, to your USE flags is
17 what is causing so many packages to be pulled in by @system.
18
19 I found something similar when building a new system recently, @system
20 pulled in X and a shedload of dependencies. Switching to a non-desktop
21 profile meant far fewer packages were needed to get a basic system.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 Walk softly and carry a fully charged phazer.