From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RAID
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 12:38:59
1 On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 17:52:26 -0700
2 kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Dan Farrell wrote:
5 >
6 > > in reality, though, I think the best performance would probaby
7 > > involve just using the fast drive. RAID introduces too much
8 > > overhead to make up for itself in this situation I think.
9
10 > I'm betting the act of seeking across the platters on the fast drive
11 > for two separate partitions on the disk makes performance truly
12 > awful. The idea of separate stripe sizes in the original post makes
13 > sense for shifting more I/O to drive A, the fast one, without causing
14 > weird things to happen on the physical disc that the software can't
15 > optimize for.
16 I wouldn't mind seeing test results, but that argument has some weight
17 to it.
18 > However I think messing with stripe sizes is not something Linux
19 > software raid (or any hardware raid I've dealt with) supports.
20 This is a nice idea, but I haven't been able to find evidence of
21 supporting it.
22 > kashani
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list